The surviving members of the Grand Army of the Republic, A. Lincoln Post 19 (Civil War Veterans), the Women's Relief Corps (Wives of Civil War Vets) and the loyal citizens of Bangor placed this monument in the center of the intersection of Charles, Union, and Walnut Streets in 1926. It is a tribute to these people who kept "burning the fires of patriotism and loyalty." The site was usually decorated with flowers and at one time had a chain link fence surrounding it. The monument was removed to Charles Park in either the 1950's or 60's. Take a walk to the corner of Monroe and Center Streets and read the inscription on the plaque or get our upcoming book and read it there.