Bangor has had the good fortune of having a capable volunteer fire department since the 1870's. Above is one of the communities newer fire engines in 1951. The capable firemen are (l to r); Jim McLarty, George Low, Roger Quackenbush, Marion Bosier, and Nick Bian Sr. In 1878, the Village purchased a compound pump and 300 foot of hose to use at the cistern in front of J.G. Miller's hardware store. Another cistern was dug at the corner of Monroe Street and Railroad Street in that year. In 1885, the village ordered two more cisterns dug. One placed in front of Calvin Cross' office (approx. today's Bangor Tavern) and one at the corner of Monroe Street and Center Street. At a later date, two more were placed at the five corners by the Congregational Church and the Church of Christ. Also, in 1885, a new fire apparatus was purchased. It had a large hand engine (pump) capable of throwing a double stream of water on top of any building in the village, a hose cart with 500 feet of hose, and a hook and ladder truck with six ladders, buckets, axes, and picks. It cost $1500, made in three installments and had a ten year warranty. When a fire alarm was sounded in the early days, people would flock to the location to take turns pumping. The council would pay a premium to any drayman who got to the fire house first to hook up to the fire cart when there was a fire. In 1911, a siren was placed at the powerhouse and signaled the location of a fire by the number of blasts. The siren was placed on the front of the West Michigan Savings Bank in 1921.