The above photo is of Arthur and Mrytle Wakeman standing in front of their engine and auto parts store on Monroe St.  In April of 1918, Mr. Wakeman purchased the property fronting Monroe St. on the east side of Diamond Alley from Dalton Carpp.  A home owned by the Tripp Family stood on that corner and was one of the oldest landmarks in town.  The house was torn down in May of that year and in June a foundation for a new building was laid on the property.  Next door, Alfred Clark was also constructing his new jewelry store.  Mr. Clark had moved in by September of 1918 and the Wakemans by the first of November.  The Wakeman building would eventually house the American Legion, McCabe's, and today, the Calabash Party Store.